vrijdag 29 december 2017

Top 20: Favorite Movies of 2017

Like last year, I decided to make a top 20 of my favorite movies. And 2017 did bring us some gems. It’s based on Dutch release dates, so you might see some movies on this list that are originally from 2016, but came out in 2017 in The Netherlands. And if you miss some movies, it’s possible that it won’t be released here until 2018. It was very tough to create this list and I had to leave of some really good ones. But here are the 20 best films of 2017, according to me.

20. Dunkirk
If you’d had enough of WWII movies, you haven’t seen “Dunkirk” yet, because it’s not the spectacle you expect it to be. It’s a war movie created with substance and subtlety. It’s not your typical Hollywood film, especially when it comes to this theme. It stands out in its genre.

19. Beauty and the Beast
As a kid I wasn’t into princesses and the Disney princess movies were always my least favorites. Until I saw “Beauty and the Beast”. The lead character Belle was an ambitious, well-read, worldly woman and I loved her. So I was super excited to see this animation come to life this year. Emma Watson did an amazing job as Belle. Some new songs were added, which would normally bother me. It didn’t. We don’t need an exact copy, because we already have that movie. Visually though it’s like watching the animation actually coming to life.

18. Mother!
Director Darren Aronofsky is known for his controversialism, disturbing themes and a way to make you feel uncomfortable. So you can say, Aronofsky is not a director for everyone. I have always loved his work, although I always feel depressed after watching them. “Mother!” is definitely the most abstract of his films, it’s disturbing and it left me wondering what I just watched, right after I finished it.

17. Spider-Man: Homecoming
This is the best Spider-Man movie we got since “Spider-Man 2” in 2004. Tom Holland is a breath of fresh air as Peter Parker/ Spider-Man. Not only because he actually is the age of the character (unlike both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield), but also because of his enthusiasm. It’s a bit contagious and it’s the strength and heart of the film.

16. Miss Sloane
A bit of a surprising choice to put this on my list, because it’s a political film. They can easily become dull, because of the many long and complicated dialogues about politics. But “Miss Sloane” intrigued me from the start and kept my attention the entire runtime. And that’s also thank to Jessica Chastain’s amazing performance. She carries this film. I believe that “Miss Sloane” is an underrated film.

15. Wonder Woman
Talking about strong women. “Wonder Woman” is the movie DC needed. Since Marvel has been one step ahead for quite some time, DC needed a feature film that could hold up. And they got that with “Wonder Woman”. Off course Gal Gadot, who portrays the stunning superhero, she is the best choice for the role and can easily carry this film. The type of origin story I like.

14. Manchester By the Sea
It’s a film with real people, they don’t feel like characters. The film hits you, grabs you, right in the heart. It’s a sad story, quite depressing actually. Only soulless people will not feel anything while watching “Manchester By the Sea”.

13. The Beguiled
It’s been a while since Sofia Coppola did something memorable. I was so happy that “The Beguiled” was released this year. Coppola managed to make the corset wearing damsels in distress, not so helpless and very independent. “The Beguiled” has one of the strongest female casts I’ve seen in a while, with Colin Farrell bringing us a great performance as well.

12. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Off course Star Wars is in this list, what did you think! As a movie nerd, the trailer alone made my nerd heart skip a beat (or two). A new director, a new adventure. I was actually kind of nervous to see this, what if it were bad? Thank goodness is was really good. Mark Hamill returns as Luke Skywalker, in his best form I might say. I was glad to see Oscar Isaac’s character of Poe Dameron getting more screen time, because he is a likeable and interesting character. I don’t think that it’s better than “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”, but it definitely did really well.

11. Thor: Ragnarok
The Thor series was probably the weakest one of the MCU. Chris Hemsworth has owned his role, but he was stronger in the Avenger films than in his standalone movies. Untill “Thor: Ragnarok”. Director Taika Waititi added more color to the film, literally and figuratively. Unexpected humor and the addition of Hulk are among the elements that made this film this good.

10. It
Yes, I hate clowns. They freak me out, which is not weird at all. “It” is proof of that. Unlike most horror movie remakes, “It” needed one. And it was actually good, which is a very rare thing when it comes to remakes. I’m glad this film focusses on the childhood part of the book, because that’s the most interesting. And it’s also very rare to have such a strong young cast.

9. War for the Planet of the Apes
“War for the Planet of the Apes” is the perfect conclusion to one of the most solid trilogies Hollywood gave us. It’s really hard to pick a best or weakest in this series. Andy Serkis shines again as ape Caesar, I think he should get an Oscar for that.

8. Logan
“Logan” is the best Wolverine movie, but I think it’s also the best X-Men film. And the most violent one by the way! Hugh Jackman is better than ever. He is totally broken, roughened. Fantastic film!

7. Call Me By Your Name
Simple story, not told in the way you would expect. A movie that made me sit through the end credits with tears in my eyes. It’s so much more than just a movie about love. Timothée Chalamet is a force of nature. More people should see this film, because I think not a lot did.

6. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
This is without a doubt the most disturbing movie I’ve seen this year. When I have to tell people what this film is about, I really don’t know what to tell them. Because the plot looks simple, but so much more happens. This film gave me the chills.

5. Get Out
This is without a doubt the most surprising film of the year. It’s best to watch this movie without any information, because then you will have the full experience. Who would think that comedian Jordan Peele could directed such a fantastic horror movie?

4. A Cure For Wellness
I always love it when Hollywood makes a different choice. “A Cure For Wellness” is odd, makes bold choices and is risky. It’s definitely not for everyone, you will either love it or hate it, but you got to give it credit for being different.

3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
I’m a sucker for the first one, so I was first in line for “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2”. It’s probably not one of the best films of the year, but it was one of the most entertaining movies. And I loved everything about, just like I did with the first installment. And Baby Groot is just too adorable.

2. Baby Driver
I think we can say that Edgar Wright is a brilliant director. I love all his movies. And “Baby Driver” is no exception. The camera work, the soundtrack, the performances, cinematography, visuals. Everything works. It was actually my number one movie for a long movie, until I saw the actual number one.

1. The Disaster Artist
I think most people have seen “The Room”, which can easily be called one of the worst movies ever made. Everyone was wondering how and why this movie was made. And we got the answer in “The Disaster Artist”. I could easily become a spoof or a mockery of the film and its creator Tommy Wiseau. But it’s not. This film has so much heart. Credits to James Franco, who is the movies director and star.

Honorable Mentions: The Zookeeper’s Wife, Okja, To the Bone, Hidden Figures, The Hitman’s Bodyguard, Going in Style, Lady MacBeth, The Founder, A Monster Calls, Split, Lion, Alien: Covenant

Geen opmerkingen: