woensdag 25 december 2013

Movie Battle: Love Actually Vs. New Year's Eve

It’s that time of the year! I’m not going to compare two Christmas movies though. It’s “Love Actually” Vs. “New Year’s Eve”, one is set during Christmas and the other during, well the title says it, New Year’s Eve, and they are both multiple storyline movies.


CAST

Love Actually: It’s filled with amazing British movie stars: Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Emma Thompason, Alan Rickman, Bill Nighy, Keira Knightley, Martin Freeman, Rowan Atkinson and Liam Neeson! It’s just a wonderful group of performers. Need I say more?

New Year’s Eve: Also filled with great stars, but this time American: Michelle Pfeifer, Zac Efron, Halle Berry, Robert De Niro, Jessica Biel, Jamie Foxx, Hilary Swank, Ashton Kutcher, Katherine Heigl and for some reason Jon Bon Jovi. Besides Pfeifer and De Niro, they all don’t do it for me like the cast of “Love Actually”. And practically any movie with Sarah Jessica Parker in it is just simply ugh…

STORY

Love Actually: As I said in the beginning, it’s more storylines in one movie. This one is filled with wonderful stories, like Hugh Grant as the new Prime Minister falling for his assistan, Liam Neeson trying to help his stepson to win over the love of his life and Martin Freeman working as a stand-in during a sex scene while talking about everyday things. And that’s just three of them!

New Year’s Eve: I especially liked the storyline with Jessica Biel and Seth Meyers, a couple who’s having a baby. I just adored them together. The story of Michelle Pfeifer and Zac Efron was also fun, but that’s it. I can’t remember any special things about the other stories, only that some of them where just very predictable.

EFFECTS

Love Actually: The flow between the different storyline goes very smoothly, it’s never abrupt. And I love how they sometimes overlap. I think the opening scene at Heathrow Airport was shot beautifully.

New Year’s Eve: The crowd scenes at Madison Square Garden are shot very well, I liked those and it made me want to celebrate New Year’s Eve too.

WINNER

This is not going to be a surprise, because I think I gave it away already. “Love Actually” is one of the sweetest, loveliest and greatest love stories ever. And when I saw “New Year’s Eve" in the theatre it felt like a waste of money. Why did I even compare these two? It wasn't a fair fight.

Geen opmerkingen: