vrijdag 10 mei 2013

50 Books Challenge 2013 - # 17: Mr. Pip by Lloyd Jones

Title: Mr. Pip
Author: Lloyd Jones
Story: On a copper-rich tropical island shattered by war, where the teachers have fled with most everyone else, only one white man chooses to stay behind: the eccentric Mr. Watts, object of much curiosity and scorn, who sweeps out the ruined schoolhouse and begins to read to the children each day from Charles Dickens's classic Great Expectations.
Start: May 1st 2013
End: may 9th 2013
Comment: When all of the teachers flee Bougainville to avoid the war that is coming their way, it is Mr. Watts, the last white man on the island, who steps up and volunteers to teach these young minds and begins to read to the children each day from Charles Dickens's classic "Great Expectations". The narrator of the story, Matilda, is totally captivated by the story and character Mr. Pip. In a way, "Great Expectations" saves Matilda's life. It is what gives these kids the power of imagination. As a teacher I loved reading this and I found it endearing and it made me think of all the reasons I want to be a teacher. The characters in this novel come to life and it is nearly impossible not to completely invest yourself in Matilda. And I wished I had a teacher like Mr. Watts myself in the early days. This is a book that will stay in my mind for a long time.
Rating: 5/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: