zaterdag 2 maart 2013

50 Books Challenge 2013 - # 7: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Title: Pride and Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
Story: When Elizabeth Bennet first meets eligible bachelor Fitzwilliam Darcy, she thinks him arrogant and conceited, while he struggles to remain indifferent to her good looks and lively mind. When she later discovers that Darcy has involved himself in the troubled relationship between his friend Bingley and her beloved sister Jane, she is determined to dislike him more than ever. In the sparkling comedy of manners that follows, Jane Austen shows the folly of judging by first impressions and superbly evokes the friendships, gossip and snobberies of provincial middle-class life.
Start: february 23rd 2013
End: february 28th 2013
Comment: I stopped counting, but I know I read this book many times already. It's my most beloved novel and I don't know where to begin with explainig why. I always had a weakness for historical romance, because secretly and deep inside I'm a hopeless romantic. The setting alone screams out the romance. Elizabeth is also my favorite book heroine and I love everything about her. She is strong, has her own will and opinion and doesn't just settle for a rich man. She actually wants to feel something, fall in love first. I think that's very normal, but in this time period it's important to marry well. Elizabeth thinks that's ridiculous. And Mr.Darcy.... In real life every woman is looking for her Mr. Darcy. Although he seems very arrogant and stuck up, Darcy is the most charming man. Jane is also a favorite. I like how she is so gentle and only wants to see the good in people. Along the way of rereading it, I was again filled with such good feelings of recognition. It's a joy to read this book, every single time. "Pride and Prejudice" is romance like it should be, full of wit and unforgetable moments. If you have never read it, shame on you!
Rating: 5/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: