vrijdag 3 augustus 2012

50 Books Challenge 2012 - # 32: Matilda by Roald Dahl

Title: Matilda
Author: Roald Dahl
Story: Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge. She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. There is never any doubt that Matilda will carry the day. Even so, this wonderful story is far from predictable.
Start: august 1st 2012
End: august 3rd 2012
Comment: "Matilda" was one of the last books Roald Dahl wrote before he died in 1990. While reading, it becomes clear that Roald Dahl never lost his touch for creating wonderful original characters and situations. As a child I already loved this book. I read it many times and I always enjoyed it when my teacher or my parents read this book for me. Matilda, the heroine of the story, is the sweetest little girl. She is a small girl with extraordinary talents. Her parents don't care for her. Her teacher, Miss Honey, is the only one that sees Matilda for who she is and she sees what Matilda is capable of. Miss Honey is also a great character, maybe even my favorite. I love how she cares for Matilda and how she loves being a teacher. Agatha Trunchbull is a horrible human being, but such a well written antagonist. Very over-the-top, but typical for Roald Dahl. The story is simply fantastic and full of humor. We see how a young girl fights for her individuality. Once you start reading, you just can't stop. Now, many years after I read this book for the first time, I'm a teacher and I read this book to my children in class and make them love it as much as I did. And still do. "Matilda" has always been my favorite children's book.
Rating: 5/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: