maandag 25 juni 2012

Best of... Denzel Washington

I can't believe I never made a best of list for Denzel Washington. Maybe I knew that this list was going to be long, because you know when Denzel is involved that the movie is probably awesome. So here are my favorite Denzel Washington movies.

Cry Freedom
The film based on the nonfiction book by the same name tells the story of Stephen Biko, a black South African political activist who understood the inherent dangers in being an activist but lived by the creed that a man has to do what a man has to do. He is befriended in respect and admiration by a white American journalist, Donald Woods. Their two stories are equally important because of the consequences of their actions. Denzel Washinton performs the role of Biko as if he was Biko, I was that convinced.

Glory
A true story of the Civil War that is both touching and inspirational. It depicts the story of the first black unit from the North to be trained and actually go into battle. Great performances by Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Matthew Broderick.

Ricochet
This is a very solid action thriller. Great acting by Denzel Washington, as the hero, and John Lithgow as the despicable villain.

Malcolm X
The story of the mans religious beliefs and strong heart was inspiring and a story that showed you can really achieve anything if you set your mind to it. I'd be lying if I did not say this is excellent.

Philadelphia
Two of the finest actors team up and give away a brilliant show. Hanks even won an Academy Award for his performance. It's a sad film and it's gripping and compelling.

Crimson Tide
"Crimson Tide" is a high tension thriller and probably the best submarine movie ever made.
Fallen
This movie was a bit overlooked, but it's all kinds of awesome. I liked the atmosphere in the film and the suspence and it has a good plot.

The Bone Collector
Denzel proves something here. Without hardly moving a muscle, Washington still grabs us with his acting. And he has good chemistry with Angelina Jolie. Exciting film, strong thriller.

Remember the Titans
I recently watched this with my class on the school I work. They found it as inspirational as I did. And all thanks to Washington's character Coach Boone, who unites black and white football players as one.

Training Day
The movie is very good, but Denzel Washington's performance is even better. This man can do anything!

John Q
John Q is a man who does a desperate thing when he finds out his kid is going to die if he doesn't do anything. But this man is my hero anyway. He does everything in order to save his son and that's a great father.

Man on Fire
The plot seems simple and unoriginal. This is so much more. It's a realistic story, with strong characters and top class acting. Washington and Fanning are wonderfull (together and apart). The story is suprising and mind-blowing.

American Gangster
It's a long movie, but that doesn't bother me at all. Washington and Crowe play their parts well.

The Book of Eli
It's a post-apocalyptic tale, where a lone man fights his way through America and protects a sacred book. The ending is pretty surprising. I really enjoyed this film.

I knew this list would be long and I could be a lot longer. But I really had to make a selection of favorites. None of his movies are bad...

Geen opmerkingen: