vrijdag 6 januari 2012

Best of... Helena Bonham Carter

She might be a little weird, but maybe that's what makes her so good. She's made some great films and here are my favorites of Helena Bonham Carter.

"A Room with a View"
Beautiful cinematography, an awesome adapted script, and a tale of oppressed desire during the paradigm shift from the repressive Victorian age to the more liberal Edwardian time.

"Howards End"
Practically every actor in this movie gives away an almost perfect performance. I never read the novel though.

"Fight Club"
This is a fantastic film and probably one of the best ever made. Again great performances and a brilliant ending. I like all three characters, not because they are so nice. Becaise they where perfectly executed.

"Big Fish"
This movie is just a picture book coming to life. I love the storytelling and how Tim Burton brought it all to life. It's beautiful and heartwarming and I love everything about it.

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
Most people don't like this remake, but I do. I miss the original Oompa Loompa's though, but that's all. I really loved how Burton recreated the factory and the casting was very well done.

"Corpse Bride"
The story is very macabre, a man getting married to a corpse. But it is so entertaining and shot like "A Nightmare Before Christmas" was also shot. Fantastic, great atmosphere.

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"
She plays Bellatrix Lestrange and with that my favorite villain from the series, if you don't count Voldemort off course. I like this film because Harry and his friends are making their own plans, but I found it so sad that Sirius Black died.

"Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber on Fleet Street"
I like musicals and I think this was different from most, because it was so dark and grim. Mostly because of its theme: a serial killer. Helena fits right in.

"Terminator Salvation"
Not the best one in the series, but I really loved the addition of Christian Bale as John Connor and I liked Sam Worthington. Helena's part is really small, so it's no specificaly good because of her.

"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"
Again a great performance as Bellatrix Lestrange. This role was made for her.

"Alice in Wonderland"
I think it's a bit like "Big Fish": This whole fantasy world comes to life. It's not favorited as much, but I really do like it. It's all so colorfull and amazing.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 & 2"
The final battle. It wasn't the end of an era for me, because I do have a life. But it was kinda sad knowing that the series ended and we couldn't expect another book or movie. A lot of questions where answered and a lot happened in the last two movies.

I haven't seen "The King's Speech" yet. I'm not sure if I ever will, because I'm still mad that Colin Firth got the Academy Award and not James Franco.

Geen opmerkingen: