woensdag 26 oktober 2011

50 Books Challenge 2011 - # 53: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments # 1)

Title: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments # 1)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Story: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....
Start: october 13th 2011
End: october 26th 2011
Comment: It was a birthday present and I really wanted to read this book because I heard so many good things about this series. And I'm really into the supernatural stories lately. I didn't know what to expect. We first meet Clary, an ordinary girl who doesn't know she's actually meant for something bigger. Sounds a bit like Harry Potter and for some reason she also reminded me of Katniss Everdeen. I didn't have the connection with Clary the way I did with both Harry and Katniss. Eventually I did, it took a while for me to really sympathize with her. Overall this book is very original, with the Shadowhunters and the entire world that is created by Clare. My favorite parts were the action sequenses. They were very fast paced and you just had to keep reading, especially the parts with the werewolves. I liked reading about all the supernatural creatures, which made me think of the TV show "Supernatural". Although this story takes place in a fictional world, the characters also deal with real-life problems. A missing mom, love triangles, friendship, betrayal. That made this book more realistic and not over-the-top. I will definitely continue the series, because I really enjoyed the first book.
Rating: 4/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: