maandag 1 augustus 2011

50 Books Challenge 2011 - # 41: Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen

Title: Riding Lessons
Author: Sara Gruen
Story: As a world-class equestrian and Olympic contender, Annemarie Zimmer lived for the thrill of flight atop a strong, graceful animal. Then, at eighteen, a tragic accident destroyed her riding career and Harry, the beautiful horse she cherished. Now, twenty years later, Annemarie is coming home to her dying father's New Hampshire horse farm. Jobless and abandoned, she is bringing her troubled teenage daughter to this place of pain and memory, where ghosts of an unresolved youth still haunt the fields and stables—and where hope lives in the eyes of the handsome, gentle veterinarian Annemarie loved as a girl . . . and in the seductive allure of a trainer with a magic touch.
Start: july 29th 2011
End: august 1st 2011
Comment: This is the third book in my challenge that was written by Sara Gruen. I loved "Water for Elephants" and "Ape House" was beautiful but had its flaws. "Riding Lessons" was Gruens debut novel and so far my least favorite. There is one thing I appreciate in every single one of her books. The love she has for animals. That's also present in this novel. Through her characters she always seems to make us aware of that passion and with them you feel it too. It took me a while to get through this book and I can't blame Gruens writing style, because it was beautiful as always. The story just didn't interest me as much. Annemarie wasn't a very memorable character and I never had a connection with horses the way I do with apes and elephants. I'm glad her books got better after this one and I'm not giving up on Sara Gruen, because she's a fabulous writer.
Rating: 3/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: