zondag 3 juli 2011

50 Books Challenge 2011 - # 35: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Title: My Sister's Keeper
Author: Jodi Picoult
Story: Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.
Start: june 29th 2011
End: july 3rd 2011
Comment: While reading this book, there's only one question that you'll ask yourself constantly: Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? That question isn't an easy one to answer, because you aren't the one dealing with it. But Picoult did a wonderful job writing about it so you can feel what the characters feel. I liked the fact that she wrote the story from different perspectives, except Kate's. It's not untill the end of the novel that she let's Kate speak and maybe that was my favorite part of the book. I loved the twist in the end, which was so surprising and it made me appreciate the book more then I initially intended. And now I finished it, I still can't answer the question. I understand Sara and Brian, they want to save their daughter Kate. But I get Anna as well. For her it feels like she was only born to save her sister and they don't care about her well being. The one thing I didn't like was the romantic subplot between Campbell and Julia. Completely unnecessary and not interesting. Overall I was impressed by the writing and how this book made me think about this complicated theme. A very emotional and powerful story.
Rating: 4/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: