zaterdag 21 mei 2011

Best of... Kevin Costner

When I was younger, me and a friend from High School were huge Kevin Costner fans. Basically because of one film, but we sort of had a crush on him. Now I really don't remember why, but he's still a very attractive man. And off course he is a great actor. Here are my favorite Kevin Costner films.

"The Untouchables"
Besides "Scarface" this is definitely Brian DePalma's best work. Brilliantly directed and Oscar-worthy performances by Costner, De Niro and Connery (who actually did win an award for this film). The movie also brought us some classic scenes, like the one with the baseball bat.

"Bull Durham"
There's one thing Costner does best. He can star in great baseball movies, with this being one of them. The love triangle between Annie, Crash and Nuck is told in a both beautiful and funny way. Tim Robbins has the best role, but Costner has great chemistry with Robbins and Susan Sarandon.

"Field of Dreams"
I haven't seen it in a long time, but I still know this is his best baseball movie. What a beautiful film this is. It's not just a movie about baseball, it's actually about second chances, something I truly believe in. Kevin Costner is absolutely great here, very strong and natural.

"Revenge"
Probably not one of his best, but it's one of my favorites. A very exciting movie about infidelity and what happens when the 'victim' finds out.

"Dances with Wolves"
His best movie so far. This is one of those very long movies, but it doesn't bother me one second. It's such an amazing picture, beautiful and sad. Perfect.

"Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"
This is that movie me anf my High school friend were obsessed with. I saw it a gazillion times and I still love it. I know that most people think Costner wasn't a good Robin Hood, and I know his accent was kinda ridiculous. But come on, this movie is awesome and highly entertaining.

"JFK"
Oliver Stone's directing is as good as it gets and you can see that he has a passion for the subject, which is very controversial. And what a great ensemble cast: Kevin Costnerm Joe Pesci, Gary Oldman, Tommy Lee Jones.

"A Perfect World"
You really don't see this one very often and it's certainly underrated. Costner gives away a nice performance as badboy Butch and great supporting roles by Clint Eastwood and Laura Dern. I really want to see this movie again.

"Message in a Bottle"
A romantic story, based on a book by Nicholas Sparks. When I saw it for the first time, I remembered why I had a crush on Costner back in the days. He's one of those well aging men. Very beautiful love story, not a brilliant movie but entertaining for us romantics.

"For the Love of the Game"
Just a very enjoyable film that captivated me.

"Mr. Brooks"
Not as good as I expected it to be, but still very solid. We see Costner from a different side, as a cold blooded killer with a double life. He does that very well.

No, I don't have a crush on him anymore, but he's still an actor I enjoy to watch, especially in the projects he did in the 90's.

Geen opmerkingen: