woensdag 11 mei 2011

50 Books Challenge - # 26: One Day by David Nicholls

Title: One Day
Author: David Nicholls
Story: Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows? Twenty years, two people, one day.
Start: may 5th 2011
End: may 11th 2011
Comment: When I started reading I found several similarities with "When Harry met Sally", but as the story developed it became a story of its own. I thought the way the story was told was unique. Each chapter covers the same day every year over two decades. I love how Nicholls described the relationship between Emma and Dexter. It's a realistic bond between a man and a woman, who think they can be just friends after spending a night together. Even though at least one of them is in a relationship everytime the meet each other again, the reader knows that Emma and Dexter are supposed to be together. I especially loved Emma. She was such a sweet woman. That's what made this ending so sad. And also because Dexter is growing on you as well, you feel sorry for him at the end. I can recommend this book to anyone, especially when you also like Nick Hornby books. This is a book that made me both laugh and cry, I truly loved it.
Rating: 5/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: