vrijdag 18 maart 2011

50 Books Challenge - # 15: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Story: In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Prim, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
Start: march 12th 2011
End: march 18th 2011
Comment: This is one of those books I would probably never read if I didn't hear so many great things about it. I normaly wouldn't pick up a sci-fi novel, but I'm open minded so I did. And I'm glad. The story is very well written, though easy to read. Every chapter leaves you in suspense which makes it almost impossible to put it down. Especially the parts during the hunger games were exciting and you just want to continue reading. The novel deals with serious issues like political corruption, violence, survival and hunger. Katniss is a very strong character, someone who will fight for her own life but also sacrifices a lot for others. I liked the world Collins created, so dark and grim. I could totally imagine how it would look in real life. But I think it's pretty intense for people younger than 16. I will probably continue to read the rest of the series, because it was good book with a creative plot. And I just read that they're going to do a movie version, with Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss.
Rating: 5/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: