zondag 6 maart 2011

50 Books Challenge - # 12: My Summer of Love by Helen Cross

Title: My Summer of Love
Author: Helen Cross
Story: It’s 1984 and one of the hottest summers Yorkshire’s seen. It’s the kind of woozy heat to lose your mind in. Mona is fifteen years old. She’s a drinker, a thief and a fruit machine addict. Things are already going badly in the pub where she lives with her obese step–brother PorkChop. But when Mona meets posh Tamsin Fakenham, a sassy girl with beautiful breasts, an actress mother and a sister who’s died of starvation, things very quickly get much worse...
Start: march 2nd 2011
End: march 6th 2011
Comment: I saw the movie first, which was truly great. It's different from the book. And better and I think that most people who love the movie, will hate the book. Well, I didn't hate it, because it was easy to read and at some points really funny, even though it's a bit dark sometimes. Cross found a good balance between shocking drama and humor. I didn't like Mona at all and I didn't understand her actions. I have more sympathy for Tamsin, however I would never befriend her in real life. She lies about the worst things but I have more understanding for her for some reason. I can't really explain why. It doesn't happen very often that I like the movie over the book, but with "My Summer of Love" that's just a fact.
Rating: 3/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: