donderdag 10 februari 2011

50 Books Challenge - # 8: The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

Title: The Jane Austen Book Club
Author: Karen Joy Fowler
Story: In California's central valley, five women and one man join to discuss Jane Austen's novels. Over the six months they get together, marriages are tested, affairs begin, unsuitable arrangements become suitable, and love happens.
Start: february 7th 2011
End: february 10th 2011
Comment: As a Jane Austen fan I just had to read this. Six people form a bookclub and all of the characters have a different point of view. What I really loved about this novel is that we got to know every single one of the book club members. Fowler discribed them very well and even used flashbacks. It gives you more inside info and that way you can understand the characters better. Why they are the way they are. My favorite character was Grigg, a guy I would definitely fall for if I met him in real life. And Jocelyn, because I recognized bits of myself in her and she had the most interesting backstory. There actually wasn't a character that I disliked although I think I would never be friends with Bernadette. A fun detail in the book is that in the end each character has questions you can discuss with your own book club. "The Jane Austen Book Club" is a light, quick and fun read. But unfortunately I think this book will only be truly adored by Jane Austen fans. If you have never read Austen or don't like her novels, you probably wouldn't like it as much as I did.
Rating: 4/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: